Nov 16, 2022
Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar For Healthy Digestion
Apple cider vinegar in a simple explanation is nothing but the fermented juice of apples (Malus Domestica). The word ‘vinegar’ is taken from the French word, ‘vin aigre’, meaning sour wine. The use of apple cider vinegar to fight wounds and infections dates back to Hippocrates (the father of modern medicine). Apple cider vinegar could be a promising food additive that is great as a preventive and for maintaining good health.
HOW IS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR MADE?
Apple cider vinegar is made by the dual fermentation process, in the first step, yeasts (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) ferment the natural sugars to alcohol (ethanol), next acetic acid bacteria (Acetobacter) convert alcohol to acetic acid. The slow fermentation process allows for the accumulation of non-toxic cob-web like slime composed of yeast and acetic acid bacteria. This is known as the ‘mother of vinegar’. Besides apple cider vinegar, other constituents of vinegar include vitamins, mineral salts, flavonoids, amino acids, polyphenolic compounds ( caffeic acid, catechin, ferulic acid), and nonvolatile organic acids (tartaric acid, malic, lactic acid).
WHAT KIND OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR SHOULD YOU BUY?
‘The mother’ is responsible for the claimed health benefits of apple cider vinegar. Most manufacturers filter it out and pasteurize the product before bottling to prevent the organisms from forming. Always buy apple cider vinegar that is raw, ‘with the mother’, undiluted, unpasteurized, unfiltered, and unprocessed. After opening the bottle, the mother may develop in stored vinegar, it is considered harmless.
Zenith Nutrition Apple Cider Vinegar is made by a dual fermentation process from fresh Himalayan apples. It is raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, gluten-free, dairy-free, free of harmful chemicals, or preservatives. It is rich in natural antioxidants, enzymes, contains the ‘mother’, which is acclaimed to give wonderful health benefits.
HOW IS THE TASTE OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR?
The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar gives it the tart flavour and pungent odour.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR CAN HELP RELIEVE 3 MAJOR SYMPTOMS OF INDIGESTION:
Bloating is typically a digestive discomfort that gives you a feeling of a full, tight, painful, swollen abdomen. During the process of digestion, the food that you eat gets broken down into tiny components by the stomach acid that is secreted by the cells that line the stomach. Certain foods release a large amount of gas into the abdomen that can lead to bloating and gassy feeling in the abdomen.
WHAT ARE THE PROBABLE REASONS & SYMPTOMS OF BLOATING?
Inadequate stomach acid production (Hcl) due to factors like aging, stress, overeating, not chewing food properly, imbalanced diet, consuming fatty foods, spicy, oily foods without veggies to balance, swallowing air while eating or drinking, consumption of food which your body cannot digest due to food intolerances. Inadequate HCl will cause the food to sit in the stomach for longer than it is supposed to and begins to ferment. The fermentation process releases gasses that contribute to bloating or feeling of heaviness a long time after eating.
HOW DOES APPLE CIDER VINEGAR HELP WITH BLOATING ISSUES?
1. By neutralizing stomach acid levels.
2. By stimulating the release of enzymes that improve digestion.
3. Drinking apple cider vinegar before meals act as a probiotic, boosts healthy gut bacteria, increases stomach acidity to support the digestive process, and reduces digestive discomfort.
2. MALDIGESTION OR MALABSORPTION OF FOOD
Maldigestion/indigestion is yet another abdominal discomfort that arises because of the inability or difficulty of the body in digesting food. When there is a deficiency in the secretion of digestive acid or enzymes, there is the inability to properly digest and break down food which directly causes you to face indigestion.
WHAT ARE THE PROBABLE REASONS & SYMPTOMS OF MALDIGESTION?
When food enters your gut, the stomach has to start secreting digestive acid, HCl. Stomach acid plays a role in the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins by stimulating the release of pancreatic enzymes and bile into the small intestines. When there is a deficiency of the chief digestive acid or enzymes, there is the inability to properly digest carbs, when the carbs or other food are not properly turned into energy, they ferment and cause small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). If protein is not broken down, it starts to rot and putrefy causing inflammation, if fats are not broken down into small units, they oxidize and potentially go rancid. The disruption in the digestive system is associated with emotional issues that come along with poor digestion such as anxiety, mood swings, stress, stomach pain, constipation, nausea, diarrhea, excessive burning, fall asleep immediately after meals.
HOW DOES APPLE CIDER VINEGAR HELP WITH MALDIGESTION?
1. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar has the ability to kill bad bacteria while at the same time, foster the growth of beneficial bacteria.
2. A small amount of apple cider vinegar taken just prior to meals, will stimulate the production of digestive enzymes.
3. Apple cider vinegar helps restore alkaline acid balance.
4. Acetic acid in apple cider vinegar helps break down complex foods like protein and assist in better digestion of food.
5. Apple cider vinegar has an anti-glycemic effect, it helps improve insulin sensitivity, helps reduce fasting blood sugar levels, helps reduce overeating, sugar cravings, and effectively boosts absorption of nutrients from food.
3. ACID REFLUX
Acid reflux is a common symptom of indigestion that features a burning pain, known as heartburn in the lower chest area. This condition results when stomach acid flows back up into the food pipe.
WHAT ARE THE PROBABLE REASONS & SYMPTOMS OF ACID REFLUX?
Consumption of certain foods like high-fat foods, spicy foods, fried foods, carbonated beverages, heavy meals, smoking, taking certain medication, being overweight are the probable reasons for acid reflux, the movement of stomach acids into the esophagus, the pipe that connects the mouth to the stomach. Since the esophagus is not used to the presence of an acid, the stomach acid irritates the esophagus, leading to conditions like pain in the chest area, difficulty swallowing, coughing, vomiting, or sore throat.
HOW DOES APPLE CIDER VINEGAR HELP RELIEVE ACID REFLUX?
1. If the acid reflux results out of low stomach acid levels, apple cider vinegar mimics the acid levels of the stomach, helps to bring down the pH of your stomach, thereby stops acid triggers.
2. The pH levels of apple cider vinegar helps to activate enzymes in the stomach and pancreas to aid in better digestion and to bring down the incidence of acid reflux.
HOW TO SAFELY CONSUME APPLE CIDER VINEGAR?
1. It is always advised to dilute your dose of apple cider vinegar with water before consumption.
2. If possible, consume apple cider vinegar with a straw, rinse your mouth after consuming apple cider vinegar as the acidic content may corrode enamel.
3. Start with a small amount and if your body tolerates it well, then you can consume up to 2 tablespoons a day.