How To Increase Memory Power
emory plays a very important role in our life. It allows us to remember all that we’ve learned, retrieves information from the brain, recalls a precious moment that has occurred in the past. Be it a student or a professional or any just about any person, there is no one who would not want to have a strong memory.
DYK? - Our brain’s storage capacity is virtually limitless.
In theory, we know that there are many types of memory - short term, long term, and sensory. To keep your memory strong is a challenge, but here are some tips to help you train your brain such that you enhance your memory retention.
- Exercise the brain - Our brain develops millions of pathways by the age of 25 to help us to store, recall and remember. While it is said that the pathways stop forming after the age of 25, it is not true. If we give the brain enough stimulation, it can continue to develop and form pathways, which will help enhance memory. Start by attempting to learn something new. A new unfamiliar activity coupled with being out of one’s comfort zone is the key to exercising the brain.
- Exercise the body - Confusing as it may seem, physical exercise helps the brain to stay sharp. They increase the oxygen supply to the brain, thereby reducing stress and stimulating it to develop new neuronal connections. Aerobics are good stimulants for the body and the brain. They keep the blood pumping well enough for it to reach the brain. One can also practice short exercises during office breaks to help get past mental fatigue and afternoon slumps. Even a short walk or a few jumping jacks are good enough to reboot your brain.
- Sleep well - The most commonly received advice from our elders for a sharp memory is a good night's sleep. It is said that an adult needs anywhere between 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep every night to avoid sleep deprivation. Lessor irregular sleep can hamper the brain’s ability to problem-solve, be creative, and recall information. Sleep is vital for memory strengthening, with the key memory-enhancing activity occurring during the deepest stages of sleep. Avoid all electronic gadgets for at least an hour before bed, as they hamper with the hormones that makes one feel sleepy.
- Brain boosters - Push your brain constantly to stimulate it. This can be done by way of attempting crosswords, puzzles, or chess games.
- Laugh whenever possible - “Laughter is the best medicine” is an age-old saying, which remains true to this day. It has been found that laughter activates areas of the brain vital to learning and creativity. Play with children, watch sitcoms, laugh at your memories, do all it takes to stay happy. This will release the good hormones that will keep the brain young.
- Brain boosting food - Oh yes, there are food products that can help you increase your memory power. Blueberries, Broccoli, Nuts, Turmeric, Pumpkin Seeds, Brahmi leaves are some that can be included in the daily diet. It is understandable that fruits like blueberries are not easily available, but turmeric and nuts are definitely available in the house pantry. So, feel free to indulge yourself in brain-boosting food to help your memory rock.
- Health issues - Sometimes, one’s memory loss can be the result of some health issues. This needs to be identified and treated. While not all memory loss problems occur due to health issues, it is imperative that one seeks a doctor's advise to rule out any possibilities.
- Remove stress - Stress is one of the factors plaguing people today and is also a cause for memory lapse/loss. Understand that stressing out is not the solution to any problem. A calm mind can only help think of possible solutions to problems.
There are many memory enhancing supplements available in the market. MemoryFab, a memory enhancer from the house of Zenith Nutrition is a combination of the well-known Brahmi, Gingko and Mandukaparni. A combination of these 3 wonder herbs, when put together reduces stress, mental fatigue, improves retention of information and aids in improving concentration. Combining the intake of these supplements with the tips given above, can help see the results considerably early and also lead a “young at heart and young at mind” life.