Sep 30, 2023
L-Lysine – Amino Acid With Tons Of Health Benefits
Lysine is one of 9 essential amino acids which need to be obtained through diet or supplements as our body has not evolved the ability to produce it on its own. L-Lysine is a biologically active L-stereoisomer form of lysine. L-Lysine is commercially produced as L-Lysine monohydrochloride (L-Lysine Hcl) which is several times of higher purity than free lysine.
FUNCTIONS OF L-LYSINE
L-Lysine is a building block of protein, essential in the production of carnitine, nutrient responsible for converting fatty acids into energy, plays an essential role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones, connective tissues including skin, tendons, and cartilage required for growth and tissue repair.
The below is a list of major health benefits of this essential nutrient.
1. Helps maintain nitrogen balance in the body
2. Necessary building block for proteins
3. Essential for synthesizing hormones, neurotransmitters
4. Plays a major role in calcium absorption
5. Works as a cofactor in production of enzymes and antibodies
6. Plays a role in cell growth and rejuvenation
7. Stimulates collagen production
8. Regulates energy production
9. Makes skin & hair healthier
10. Promotes building & recovery of muscle tissue and bones
ZENITH NUTRITION L-LYSINE
Zenith Nutrition L-Lysine dietary supplement contains the hydrochloride salt of Hcl which is better soluble and more bioavailable. The vegetarian, easy to swallow supplement is free of soy, dairy, yeast, gluten, sugar or preservatives.
CONSEQUENCES OF DEFICIENCY OF LYSINE
Lysine deficiency in the body may lead to fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness, hair loss, red eyes, loss of lean muscle, bone loss, cold sores.
WHAT ARE THE BEST SOURCES OF LYSINE?
Meat, especially red meat, poultry, fish, sardines, eggs, soybeans, spirulina, fenugreek seed, beans, lentils, peas, legumes, dairy products are some of the best dietary sources of lysine.
WHO NEEDS TO SUPPLEMENT WITH LYSINE?
It is crucial to provide your body with the unique building block it needs to make everything from muscle fibres to neurotransmitters in the brain. Lysine cannot be stored or synthesized in the body.
1. Those on a plant-based vegan diet need to pay special attention to lysine supplementation as lysine is a limiting amino acid in vegan diet.
2. Athletes, people with burn marks, hair loss or people who intend to lose fat, aged people in whom dietary intake of lysine is low may particularly benefit from lysine supplementation.
Top 5 Major Health Benefits Of L-Lysine
The immune system is a complex network of various types of cells whose primary function is to remove pathogens without causing tissue damage and other immunopathology. Immune system requires a continuous supply of nutrients that increases its response. A dietary deficiency of lysine limits the synthesis of protein, proliferation of lymphocytes, impairs immune responses and increases susceptibility to infections. Elderly people tend to have increased susceptibility to infections due to immune dysfunction.
1. Lysine helps in regulating T-lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes, natural killer cells and macrophages.
2. Facilitates absorption of zinc, which is the most essential micronutrient that helps boost the cell-mediated immune system.
3. Lysine supplementation may increase transferrin and pre albumin serum, which reflects the improvement of protein status.
4. Regulates production of antibodies, cytokines and other cytotoxic substances.
SUPPORTS SKIN HEALTH
Lysine is a building block of collagen protein, which forms the base layer of the skin and is responsible for the skin elasticity and fine lines. We usually get lysine though food, but we need more and more as we age. UV light exposure and other factors decrease the formation of collagen which needs to be counteracted.
Supplementing with lysine may provide the following skin benefits:
1. May improve skin elasticity and firmness
2. Heals wounds faster
3. Encourages skin renewal
4. May prevent age-related conditions like wrinkles and fine lines
HELPS REDUCE ANXIETY
Anxiety is a common mental disorder affecting millions of people worldwide. The impact of anxiety is not limited to consistent stress, but also leads to debilitating physical manifestations such as headache, uncontrolled trembling, muscle tension, sweating. Studies have implicated a dysregulation of specific neurotransmitters such as serotonin, GABA as potential causes for anxiety disorders. L-Lysine deficiency may disrupt normal release of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that promotes feelings of happiness. Studies on L-Lysine have uncovered some promising findings about how L-Lysine supplements may reduce anxiety levels. Supplementing with lysine helps up the serotonin levels, reduce cortisol levels (stress hormone) and lower stress-induced anxiety.
HELPS IMPROVE BONE HEALTH
Calcium deficiency contributes to age-related bone loss. Dietary supplementation with lysine can increase calcium absorption. Studies suggest that lysine can both increase intestinal calcium absorption and improve the renal conservation of the absorbed calcium. The combined effects may contribute to a positive calcium balance, thus suggesting potential usefulness of L-Lysine supplements for bone health. Lysine supplementation enhances collagen (structural protein) production, lowers calcium depletion as a result helps maintain bone density.
MAY BOOST WEIGHT LOSS & IMPROVE ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
Studies have investigated the potential effects of lysine supplementation to support muscle development and weight loss.
1. One way supplementing with lysine may help you lose weight is through a boost in exercise performance. If the supplement can give you more energy, relieve fatigue, and improve recovery times, you can maximize workouts to burn calories and lose weight.
2. By ensuring adequate lysine intake, we can increase the body’s production of carnitine, a specialized amino acid which plays a vital role in converting fatty acids into usable energy forms. An increasing metabolizing fat will optimize weight loss. The increased energy helps improve performance and promotes quick recovery from workouts.