Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone secreted by the pineal gland of our brain in response to darkness. Melatonin regulates the body’s daily sleep-wake cycle (circadian rhythm) depending on luminosity. Melatonin secretion is stimulated by darkness and being exposed to light can block its production. Melatonin is secreted in the body by the amino acid tryptophan which is converted into neurotransmitter serotonin and then eventually into melatonin. Melatonin can cross the cell membrane and blood-brain barrier as it is both lipophilic (fat-soluble) and hydrophilic (water-soluble).
ZENITH NUTRITION MELATONIN
Zenith Nutrition Melatonin is an advanced sleep-support supplement made synthetically from trusted ingredients that are carefully processed.
Each serving provides a healthy 3mg dosage of melatonin to promote better sleep and improved mood.
The vegetarian dietary supplement is manufactured in a GMP-certified unit and has gone through strict evaluation for assurance on quality and potency. The supplement does not contain soy, corn, dairy, yeast, gluten, preservatives and is suitable for both men and women.
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR LOW MELATONIN?
Normal melatonin levels can vary considerably between individuals. Below listed are some of the factors that have been consistently linked to low melatonin secretion.
- Prolonged exposure to light.
- With advancing age, our pineal gland ages and becomes less effective at producing melatonin.
- Increased screen time (spending long hours staring at the screen).
- Increased metabolism by the liver.
- Excessive workout at night (high levels of cortisol which may interrupt your sleep).
- Excessive intake of stimulants like coffee, tobacco, alcohol and nicotine.
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE HAVE LOW MELATONIN LEVELS?
Low melatonin levels can lead to a number of consequences:
1. Poor sleep quality (insomnia)
2. Overstimulation of cortisol (stress hormone) which can cause poor stress response
3. Disrupts normal metabolism
4. Waking up too early or interrupted sleep
6. Fluctuations in blood sugar levels
8. Dark-eye circles
9. Anxiety / palpitations
HOW DOES MELATONIN WORK?
Melatonin supplement mimics the natural hormone melatonin, it binds to melatonin receptors in the body which activates sleep signalling pathways. Melatonin does not induce sleep, but helps prepare you for sleep.
1. Melatonin helps create sync with body’s circadian rhythm.
2. Reduces cortisol that contributes to insomnia.
3. Promotes sleep quality and sleep length.
4. Helps you wake up refreshed every morning.
5. Improves focus and mental alertness.
6. Helps you perform better at your job.
DOES MELATONIN HAVE ANTIOXIDANT BENEFITS?
Melatonin is regarded as a multifunctional antioxidant, it is believed to be the most effective lipophilic antioxidant as it can cross cell membranes and the blood-brain barrier.
- Direct scavenging of oxygen radicals and reactive nitrogen species.
- Increasing the efficiency of mitochondrial phosphorylation.
- Boosts the efficiency of other antioxidants like glutathione.
- Prevents lipid peroxidation.
- Works with other antioxidants to improve the overall effectiveness of each antioxidant and promotes the expression of other antioxidant enzymes.
- Helps prevent degenerative changes in the central nervous system
DOES MELATONIN PROMOTE IMPROVED MOOD
Low levels of melatonin secretion as told earlier can cause issues like dizziness, irritability, anxiety, and stress. The main aim of melatonin supplementation is to improve sleep duration. Melatonin supplementation increases serotonin levels in the body, a neurotransmitter that has been linked with mood balance. Melatonin promotes calmness, relaxation, gets you ready to sleep and promotes restful sleep thereby ease negative feelings associated with anxiousness.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM MELATONIN SUPPLEMENTATION?
Sleep is vital for maintaining overall health and keeping our immune health strong. An individual requires an average of 6-8 hours of sleep per night. Sleep enables our body repair and get revitalized for the next day. Getting adequate sleep prevents excessive weight gain, wards off chronic health issues. In modern life, work pressure, emotional worries and overexposure to blue light may contribute to disruption in our circadian rhythm.
Melatonin supplement addresses a variety of sleep issues.
1. Aged people
-> Who are at risk of low melatonin synthesis.
2. Blind people
-> Who face a lack of light reaching the hypothalamus.
3. Delayed sleep phase syndrome
-> Condition in which you have trouble falling asleep.
-> Those who have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
5. Shift work
-> Those working in shifts may have disrupted sleep schedule.
6. Jet lag
-> Those travelling across time zones may have a rundown feeling.
IS MELATONIN ADDICTIVE SUPPLEMENT?
Definitely not, unlike many sleep medications, you are unlikely to become addictive to melatonin or experience a hangover effect. Short-term use of melatonin is proven safe for most people and is not found to cause headache, daytime sleepiness, hang-over effect or dependency. An interesting fact about melatonin is that it doesn’t make you sleep literally, but plays a critical role in helping to signal the body by regulating sleep-wake cycles.
WHAT IS THE BEST TIME TO TAKE MELATONIN?
Melatonin is suggested to be taken half an hour before bed as it takes approximately 30 minutes for melatonin to reach maximum concentration in your bloodstream.
TIPS TO GET THE MOST OF MELATONIN SUPPLEMENTATION
- Dim the lights before bed
- Limit exposure to blue light
- Limit caffeine intake
- Get exposure to daylight during the day
SAFETY TIPS WHILE TAKING MELATONIN SUPPLEMENTS
- As with all dietary supplements, people who are on medication need to consult a physician before using melatonin. Especially those suffering from epilepsy, or those taking blood thinner medications must and should take physician advice before taking melatonin.
- Pregnant and nursing women are recommended not to use the supplement as there’s a lack of research on the safety of melatonin in them.
- It is suggested not take more than the recommended amounts.
- Exceeding the recommended dosage does not make it work better or quicker.
- Store the supplement out of the reach of children.