Dec 05, 2023
The Benefits of Magnesium Glycinate — and How to Get the Most Out of Your Supplement
Magnesium is an essential micronutrient that supports bone health, muscle strength, and nerve response. The largest portion of magnesium in the body is found in our bones, where it helps to maintain calcium levels. Studies show that 70% of American adults do not get enough magnesium in their daily diet. This can lead to a variety of negative effects on overall health. Fortunately, there are many ways to boost your magnesium intake — including through the use of a magnesium glycinate supplement. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about this type of supplement, its benefits, and how to get the most out of it.
What is Magnesium Glycinate?
Magnesium glycinate is one type of magnesium supplement that is suitable for people with a variety of health conditions, it can help to relieve symptoms of magnesium deficiency and improve overall wellness. It is also often recommended for people who have trouble digesting large doses of supplemental magnesium. Magnesium glycinate is designed to be easily absorbed by the body and is therefore gentler on the digestive system. Although there are multiple types of magnesium supplements to choose from, magnesium glycinate is one of the most well-studied forms. This form of magnesium has been used in studies for a range of conditions — and researchers have come out with a lot of interesting findings.
The Importance of Magnesium in the Body
Many people believe that calcium is the key nutrient for healthy bones, but in truth, magnesium is just as important. Both nutrients are necessary to build strong bones, and magnesium has a number of other benefits, such as: It is essential to consume adequate amounts of magnesium in your diet. Unfortunately, few people do so. The recommended daily intake of magnesium is around 310 to 400 milligrams for adult men and women. Unfortunately, the average Adults only consumes around half of this amount each day. As a result, most people are lacking in this crucial mineral.
Benefits of Magnesium Glycinate
Magnesium glycinate is a widely studied form of magnesium that is suitable for many people.
Here are some of the key benefits of magnesium glycinate
Supports Bone Health: Magnesium is essential for the maintenance of healthy bones. It is believed that up to 70% of the magnesium in our bodies is stored in our bones.
- Supports Healthy Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Levels: Studies have also found that a lack of magnesium is related to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Reduces Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: People with diabetes typically have lower blood levels of magnesium than those without the condition. Studies have found that supplementing with magnesium can reduce the risk of developing diabetes by up to 39% among those at high risk for the disease.
- Helps to Manage Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression: Studies have shown that increasing your intake of magnesium can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety. Magnesium is a natural mood stabilizer, making it a great choice for those who suffer from these conditions.
- Supports Healthy Sleep: Magnesium has been shown to improve sleep quality by reducing the amount of time it takes to fall asleep. It can also help you to get a better night’s sleep by reducing anxiety and keeping your muscles relaxed.
- Boosts Brain Function: Magnesium is essential for the health of your brain. Studies have shown that low levels of magnesium are associated with poor mental performance, as well as with symptoms of depression and anxiety. It has also been shown to improve memory in older adults.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Magnesium Supplement
- Get Plenty of Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 is a necessary cofactor for the metabolism of magnesium. That is, it helps your body to process it. You can boost your B6 intake by eating more foods with B6, such as: - Eat More Leafy Greens: Leafy greens are packed with magnesium.
Modulate Your Diet: You can also boost your magnesium intake by decreasing your consumption of foods that interfere with its absorption.
Supplement Your Diet: And finally, you can also increase your intake of magnesium by taking a supplement. Among the various types of magnesium supplements, magnesium glycinate is one of the gentlest. It is also absorbed by the body more easily than other types of magnesium supplements, making it a good choice for people who have trouble absorbing them. Taking your magnesium supplement twice per day has been shown to improve its effectiveness.
Magnesium glycinate is one of the best forms of magnesium supplements, and it is gentler on the digestive system than other types. It is an important nutrient that supports bone health, brain function, and many other aspects of health. It can help to improve sleep and mood, as well as reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. It is important to take a daily magnesium supplement to avoid deficiency, which could negatively impact your health. There are many types of magnesium supplements to choose from. Magnesium glycinate is one of the best choices, as it is easily absorbed and less likely to cause side effects. It is important to get enough magnesium in your diet to support overall health, and a magnesium glycinate supplement is a great way to do so.