Nov 27, 2023
The Wonders Of Grape Seed Extract Supplement
rape seed extract, as the name suggests is the extract from the seed of the grape. We Indians would not have heard about the grape seed extract, till the recent past. Grapes and parts of the plant - leaves, sap have been used to treat skin problems by the ancient Greeks. The grape seed extract, however, was developed only in the 1970s and shows the potential to treat various other ailments. The extracts contain antioxidants, vitamin E, vitamin P (bioflavonoids), linoleic acid, and a polyphenol called resveratrol, known for both its anti-aging properties and its use in the treatment of cancer.
As you can see, using grape seed extract for treating various ailments is fairly new. However, with the advancements of technology, scientists have been successful in finding the following benefits:
- Healing wounds and swelling: Grape seed extract may reduce the swelling in the legs that are caused by chronic venous insufficiency. It also helps in treating eczema, acne, and dry skin.
- Controls BP: Grape seed extract may help in reducing the systolic blood pressure, thereby helping in normalizing the blood pressure of those who have high BP. A review of 16 studies conducted in over 800 people showed that the systolic pressure significantly reduced by an average of 6.08 mmHg and 2.8 mmHg respectively.
- Prevent/delay the progression of cell damage: Grape seed extract may help in preventing cell damage and diseases associated with it.
- Slows the aging process: Grape seed extract contains gallic acid, which helps to protect our cells against oxidative damage. A 12-week study in around 100 healthy older adults found that taking 150 mg of grape seed extract daily improved attention, language, and delayed the progress of degenerative brain disorders.
- Improves kidney function: Kidneys are often susceptible to oxidative damage in some people, resulting in kidney failure. Grape seed extract reduces the kidney damage and improves the function, thereby helping the kidney to filter the urine better.
- Reduces risk of cancer: Cancer poses a risk to anyone and we all know that antioxidants inhibit the growth of cancer cells in our body. Grape seed extract contains antioxidants that help in preventing cancer. The study has also shown that the toxicity of chemotherapy is reduced with the intake of grape seed extract supplements, without hampering the treatment in any way.
The grape seed extract is available as a product in itself or as a combination of products that are prescribed by the doctors. It can also be taken as a dietary supplement to improve your overall health.