Oct 07, 2021
Top 6 Benefits of Spirulina You Didn’t knew
pirulina is a tiny blue-green alga that is shaped like a perfect spiral coil. It is termed as one of the oldest inhabitants of the planet. Its scientific name is Arthrospira Plantensis. It contains many nutrients and antioxidants, which helps us stay healthy and therefore has become a popular dietary supplement. Researchers have said that Spirulina has been used from the time of Aztecs and this is not a new discovery of the modern world. However, when it was introduced in the market, there were many apprehensions. Now, after looking through the various researches that have been conducted, one can relax to know that Spirulina is filled with many benefits.
This is how a dried Spirulina looks like. It grows naturally in mineral-rich alkaline lakes, often near volcanoes. The largest concentrations of Spirulina is found at Lake Texcoco in Mexico, around Lake Chad in Central Africa and the Great Rift Valley in East Africa. Soon after its re-discovery, Spirulina has been grown by many farms worldwide to meet the demand therein. Spirulina contains 60% all-vegetable protein, essential vitamins and phytonutrients such as the rare essential fatty acid GLA, sulfolipids, glycolipids, and polysaccharides.
Some of the benefits of using Spirulina are :
- High in nutrients - Spirulina is high in nutrients and since it does not have any notable side-effects, it is one of the most sought after superfoods. The daily recommended dosage is anywhere between 2-3grams per day and gives us the daily dose of all nutrients required by our body. It is for this reason that the WHO has called it one of the greatest superfoods found in nature.
- Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory- We all know that antioxidants help our body in fighting against many diseases. Spirulina contains several active ingredients, notably phycocyanin and β-carotene that have potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help us fight against deadly diseases. Spirulina’s anti-inflammatory properties help relieve the effects caused due to inflammation, such as arthritis, hypertension, and heart failure. Clinical trials have shown that - Spirulina dose-dependently reduced the metabolic activity of functional neutrophils, indicating the anti-inflammatory activity.
- Aids in weight loss - It is a well-known fact that lower calorie intake can lead to weight loss. Spirulina is one such supplement that has very few calories and a high nutrient count, which can help those who are looking to lose weight.
- Lowers cholesterol - Increased cholesterol levels is becoming a common problem sighted these days in people who have a sedentary lifestyle. This has warranted many studies to be conducted to look for supplements and alternatives to help reduce the “bad” cholesterol and increase the “good” cholesterol. Intake of Spirulina supplements has been seen to significantly reduce total cholesterol and lower LDL also known as “bad” cholesterol while increasing HDL the “good” cholesterol in the body.
- Reduces allergy - ‘Allergic rhinitis’ is a commonly seen problem, among people of all age groups. It refers to allergies to pollen, dust, or pets, which causes continuous sneezes and cold-like symptoms. Studies have shown that Spirulina has the ability to help relieve the symptoms of allergy.
- Backs mental health - Spirulina with its wonder loads of nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties, does bring positive wellbeing in a person. A recent study highlights the presence of tryptophan, which is an amino acid that supports the production of serotonin that is useful in treating depression and anxiety.
Knowing the benefits of Spirulina, you will be tempted to know how to include Spirulina in your diet? Spirulina is available in the form of capsules, tablets, and powder. Tablets and capsules can be taken as it is, while the powder form of Spirulina can be:
- Added to smoothies
- Sprinkled in salads or soups
- Added to fruit/vegetable juices of your choice
Here’s a superfood that is easily digestible, loaded with all the essential nutrients, easily available in the market, and best of all, without any side-effects. So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and place your order of Spirulina Capsules from the house of Zenith Nutrition.