Ways to improve Cardiovascular Health
ardiovascular health refers to the health of your heart and blood vessels that carry blood through your body, known as the circulatory system. Cardiovascular diseases are one of the top killers in the world and therefore, it is of utmost importance to take care of your cardiovascular health.
Here are a few ways to improve the same:
- Exercise Regularly-Regular exercise helps boost blood circulation and improve cholesterol levels. Thirty minutes of aerobic exercise, three to four days per week can help improve your overall cardiovascular health. If you’ve never had a physically active lifestyle, take it slowly with low-impact activities such as walking or yoga.
- Reduce Sodium Intake-To maintain good cardiovascular health, it is important to cut back on sodium intake. Your body needs about 500mg of sodium daily so try opting for sodium-free foods and be wary of high sodium snacks and fast foods. Sodium helps regulate fluids within the body. Too much salt can cause water retention.
- Maintain a Healthy Blood pressure-Try to maintain healthy blood pressure at all times. Get a blood pressure monitor at home and check your blood pressure from time to time. For best results, take your blood pressure daily for a week and record it. If it is consistently higher than 140/90, contact your doctor to schedule an appointment to discuss options to lower it.
- Have a Healthy Diet-Maintain a healthy diet by cutting back on fatty fried foods and foods high in saturated fats. Opt for green leafy vegetables, lean meats, and low-fat dairy products. Include fish like tuna and salmon in your diet at least once a week for omega-3 fatty acids that are great for your heart. You could also take Omega-3 supplements available at Zenith Nutrition.
- Cut Back on Smoking and Alcohol-For good cardiovascular health, stop smoking, and cut back on alcohol. Although it is alright to indulge in occasional drinking, consuming more than three alcoholic beverages a day for a long time can raise blood pressure, and it isn’t good for your heart either. Nicotine, a chemical in cigarettes is responsible for constricting the blood vessels, hinder blood flow, and cause high blood pressure. In order to improve your cardiovascular health significantly, cut back or eliminate these completely.
If you are concerned about your cardiovascular health, talk to your doctor to help you make informed food choices. They may also help you before starting an exercise routine and give you a good idea of what will be best for you. You could also try taking supplements after discussing them with your doctor. Several supplements to support cardiovascular health are available here at Zenith Nutrition.